SSE is a leading electricity and gas company, operating mainly in the UK and Ireland.
The company was formed in 1998 following a merger between Scottish Hydro-Electric and Southern Electric.
In 2000, the company acquired the SWALEC energy supply business. In 2004 the Company acquired the Ferrybridge and Fiddlers Ferry Power Stations for £250million. In 2008 it went on to buy Airtricity Holdings, an Irish wind farm business. In 2009 it agreed to purchase Uskmouth power station from Welsh Power Group Limited. In April 2010 the company purchased the natural gas exploration and production assets of Hess Corporation in three areas of the United Kingdom Continental Shelf - Everest/Lomond, Easington and Bacton.
- over 11,000 megawatts of capacity for generating electricity in power stations, hydro electric schemes and wind farms;
- around 10 million customer accounts for electricity, gas and other home services;
- around 128,000km of overhead electricity lines and under ground cables, delivering power to around 3.5 million homes, offices and businesses;
- a 50% share of Scotia Gas Networks, which has around 73,000km of pipelines delivering gas to around 5.7 million homes, offices and businesses;
- The UK's largest onshore gas storage facility;
- The UK's second largest mechanical and electrical contracting business; and
- The UK's fourth largest telecoms network company.
This means we are the broadest based energy company in the UK, with interests in electricity and gas production, electricity and gas distribution, electricity and gas supply and electricity and gas services.
Our core purpose is to provide the energy people need in a reliable and sustainable way. Our strategy is to deliver sustained growth in the dividend payable to shareholders through the efficient operation of, and investment in, a balanced range of regulated and non-regulated businesses.
To help achieve this, we plan to invest around £1.5 to £1.7 billion in each of the five years from April 2010 to March 2015.
Our principal focus for this investment is renewable energy, but we also plan to invest in thermal generation, electricity networks and in other areas.